Last week we discovered the first of 5 habits that mentally strong people possess. In this next instalment, we discover the final 5 reasons which make them so successful with their attitude.
6. They’re not controlled by their fear: obstacles are the adversity which makes minds stronger. Mentally strong people use every action to allow themselves get better at what they do and to give themselves the best chance of success. Rather than be limited by their fear, they learn to take perspective from others and from experience, by pushing forward beyond their comfort zones.
7. They learn from the Past: mentally strong people have been some of the most successful leaders in history. They learned long ago that they can model the success of others, to avoid failing over and over again. No one needs to reinvent the wheel, they just notice what works, adapt it and optimise it for their own circumstances. As the saying goes, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And many of those people may well believe they are failures as a result. Take perspective from history, model the success of others, and you can also be mentally strong.
8. They don’t shun Responsibility: rather than blame others, they take control of what they can, because ultimately that is the only way to feel in control of their lives. Taking control of the smallest thing can give you the confidence to move on to the next, over and over, until you are fully confident in every area of your life. It’s the decision to start somewhere which distinguishes those who are mentally strong from the rest. So learn from your mistakes, so you don’t repeat them. The responsibility for your results is yours and yours alone.
9. They don’t fear solitude: often it's the time you spend alone which can be some of the most enriching. Reading, learning and relaxing are all needed to be healthy and well, and it doesn’t do a person well to have others around all the time. With enough time to reflect you can give yourself one the greatest gifts that all mentally strong people possess: self knowledge.
10. They have Realistic Expectations: it’s been said that happiness is when your expectations match reality. Mentally strong people take perspective, whenever things are going well, or going badly. They realise the world owes them nothing and that they’re ultimately in control of their lives. The lesson from life is that we often only value what we earn and what we pay for, because when we put in the effort to achieve something it means so much more. With enough patience and persistence, we can achieve almost anything, so keep your eyes focused on the long game, because success is a marathon not a sprint.
And that concludes this mega-post on the 10 most important habits, or virtues, of mentally strong people. Which ones can you improve on right now to make your mindset one which is primed for success?
I look forward to reading your comments!
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!